Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TT Business SEP-IRA limit for my LLC assumes social security tax, but I've maxed it out in my W-2 for my full-time job.

I have a full-time job (W-2) and have paid the maximum social security tax for the year. I also have a LLC (taxed as partnership, pass through) and an associated SEP-IRA. TT Business, not having the full picture, assumes the 12.4% social security tax in self-employment (SE) tax calculation and ends up with a higher SE tax and (lower SEP IRA contribution limit) than what I think should be correct numbers.

When I port the Schedule K-1 from TT Business to TT Personal (Premier in my case), which has the broader picture, TT personal calculates a lower SE tax (and a higher SEP contribution limit) because it does not have any social security component in its SE tax calculation. It tells me I can contribute more to my SEP-IRA (than the TT Business limit).

Two questions:

(1) Can I override the SEP-IRA limit calculation logic in TT Business? Running my own calculation with social security tax rate set to 0 (I understand 7.65% FICA is still there etc.). I can generate the same limit calculated in TT Personal on paper this way, but don't see a way to ask TT Business to use those numbers.  LLC paying more  SEP-IRA contribution is preferable.

(2) If it is not possible to override TT Business, what is the correct way to make this extra contribution to SEP-IRA? It's an additional amount on top of what is shown in Schedule K-1. If paid out of LLC account it messes up the balance sheet and all LLC calculations. Can it (should it) be paid out of a personal account for example?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

TT Business SEP-IRA limit for my LLC assumes social security tax, but I've maxed it out in my W-2 for my full-time job.

I found the place to enter adjustment: To reduce the self employment tax in this case edit the SEP IRA worksheet ("SEP/IRA Wks"), override line 2b ("Adjustment to self-employment tax (for adj to net earnings)"), and enter the correct negative number that would fix the contribution limit. Explain in the automatically created note. After this adjustment TurboTax automatic calculation always shows the correct amount (even if you recalculate).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies