Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

QUQU
Returning Member

TSP Required Minimum Distribution

I am trying to figure out how to add my RMD from my TSP account. The 1099-R does not have the box checked between 7&8. What form is this RMD go on and what line. Also if you have funds that have already been taxed, non deductible, what form and what line does it go on.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

TSP Required Minimum Distribution

The TSP distribution goes in as a 1099-R in the Personal Taxes section of the H&B software.....jsut like any other 1099-R from a Pension or Retirment, or Annuity.  

1) Correct: For a TSP distribution the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE checkbox will not be checked (near boxes 8&9) since a TSP is NOT an IRA.

2)  If you have made pre-tax contributions to your TSP funds during your time as a Govt employee (or Military), then the box 2a value (Taxable amount) should already be lower than box 1 (Gross distribution).  The difference between those two boxes...amount it is lowered-by, should be shown in box 5 of the 1099-R.

SO you just enter that 1099-R in the tax software In the Personal Taxes section, just like you would any other 1099-R form from a Pension or Retirment, or Annuity.  

.....and the $$ should show up on lines 5a and 5b of the main IRS tax Form 1040. 

(If all your non-IRA 1099-R forms have box 2a the same as box 1, then the total will be shown only in line 5b of the 1040.  Both lines 5a and 5b are used, only if there is a difference between the two).

Then, a couple Q&A pages after the 1099-R form is entered, the software will ask if it was an RMD distribution...you answer Yes  (if it was an RMD)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies