turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Trying to use savers credit and 401k funds to fund IRA for my wife and I. Can this be done?

TurboTax is saying I would get about $1500 more from the savers tax credit if I contribute $5,500 to an IRA for my wife and I to total $11,000.  Would it be beneficial to take an early distribution from my 401k to fund two IRAs with this money or is this even allowed?  Maybe just rollover my portion to an IRA and take early distribution to fund her IRA?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Trying to use savers credit and 401k funds to fund IRA for my wife and I. Can this be done?

It doesn't work.  The saver's credit is for the NET contribution to an IRA after offsetting recent withdrawals from other tax qualified plans.  "they" thought of that!

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Youre asking from TurboTax Business, are you working on a corporation return or ?
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

No, this is a personal return.  Sorry for the confusion.

It doesn't work.  The saver's credit is for the NET contribution to an IRA after offsetting recent withdrawals from other tax qualified plans.  "they" thought of that!

Would it have been possible if I made a loan from the 401k plan before I was separated from the company and continued to pay on that loan?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies