• Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
quayle319
Returning Member

Trying to include my Military Retirement Pay from my 1099-R for income, Keeps giving me IRAs payouts and such... how do I include my military retirement pay???

4 Replies
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Trying to include my Military Retirement Pay from my 1099-R for income, Keeps giving me IRAs payouts and such... how do I include my military retirement pay???

Yes, you need to enter all forms 1099-R just as they read on your copies.  Any amounts that may be excluded by states will be excluded in the state interviews based on those entries.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jameskelly2
Returning Member

Why is my  Military Retirement Kentucky so difficult to compile and where do I enter it on Kentucky file. I have filed  my Military Retirement to Kentucky for 6 years and never had any difficulty.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

@quayle319

Your military retirement should be taxed as a pension/annuity, and not as an IRA. When you enter your 1099-R, please make sure that the IRA/SEP/Simple box right after box 7 is NOT checked.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

@jameskelly2

As noted above, you do a Search (upper right) for 1099-r and click on the jump-to link to enter your 1099-R. 

If you had already said that you lived in Kentucky in the My Info or Personal Info section, then TurboTax in the screens after entering the 1099-R may ask you the source of the 1099-R, which would give you the chance to indicate that it is military retirement.

Otherwise, when you enter the Kentucky interview, TurboTax will ask you the source of the pension/annuity distribution there.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v