Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Trad IRA distributions with Government Bond Interest 1099-R

What if the Government Bond Interest came from a (taxable) Traditional IRA distribution?  The interview question about Government Bond Interest does not come up on 1099R entries, only 1099 DIV? I have mutual funds in my IRA that produce this benefit...love to get that info to my State return for the deduction.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

https://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/pdf/pubs/tgi-ee/git2.pdf

I suspect that one would need to track their interest received by their IRAs from direct federal obligations along with their NJ basis in traditional IRA contributions that they are already required to track.

View solution in original post

Thanks for the specific example from NJ. Since there is no interview question on this situation, I suppose I enter this on the "Forms" (and not the "easy step interview") page.  My state (ME) does have this line on the tax form. Furthermore, in my case it is easy to track as the only distributions I take from the IRA are dividends and interest.  From the prospectus I know what percentage is from US obligations.  

View solution in original post

4 Replies

As a discussion point,

I seem to recall that last year, one state started to allow a state deduction for the "portion" of the distribution that represented US bond interest...but most states have no such deduction from state income and will tax the whole distribution.  (For a 1099-R from an IRA)

I don't recall which state that was (somewhere in the Northeast US )…..but as a practical point, unless the entire IRA holding is distributed, it would be nearly impossible to track the sub-portion of a distribution that is from US bond interest...and even if you could, you would likely have to keep your own meticulous detailed records in such a way that would drive you nuts and lead to eternal regrets that you ever started doing so.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

I guess if a particular IRA account contained solely US bonds or US bond funds, it would be easier to track.....but it still would depend on whether your particular state allows that deduction at all.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
dmertz
Level 15

https://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/pdf/pubs/tgi-ee/git2.pdf

I suspect that one would need to track their interest received by their IRAs from direct federal obligations along with their NJ basis in traditional IRA contributions that they are already required to track.

Thanks for the specific example from NJ. Since there is no interview question on this situation, I suppose I enter this on the "Forms" (and not the "easy step interview") page.  My state (ME) does have this line on the tax form. Furthermore, in my case it is easy to track as the only distributions I take from the IRA are dividends and interest.  From the prospectus I know what percentage is from US obligations.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies