turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The SSA-1099 shows ($26,630.10) paid for 2014 . My W-2 box 3 show $22018.46. Am I being double taxed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The SSA-1099 shows ($26,630.10) paid for 2014 . My W-2 box 3 show $22018.46. Am I being double taxed?

Those two forms are reporting entirely different things.

That SSA-1099 amount, presumably in Box 3, reports the amount paid to you by the Social Security Administration in 2014.  That's "income" to you and some part of that may or may not be included in taxable income, depending on the income you report in other parts of your Form 1040.

That W-2 Box 3 amount, presumably also reported on a 2014 tax form, reports the amount of income paid to you by your then-employer that was subject to the 6.2% Social Security withholding, i.e., the amount of tax that went into your "pot" of funds with the SSA.  Box 1 of that W-2 shows the amount of income that you were taxed on for income tax purposes.

So apparently you worked part of the year, earning income that was subject to income taxes (and Social Security taxes) and also retired in that year, receiving some Social Security income.  It's coincidental that the two amounts are similar, but they do not represent "double taxation."

Tom Young

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Those two forms are reporting entirely different things.

That SSA-1099 amount, presumably in Box 3, reports the amount paid to you by the Social Security Administration in 2014.  That's "income" to you and some part of that may or may not be included in taxable income, depending on the income you report in other parts of your Form 1040.

That W-2 Box 3 amount, presumably also reported on a 2014 tax form, reports the amount of income paid to you by your then-employer that was subject to the 6.2% Social Security withholding, i.e., the amount of tax that went into your "pot" of funds with the SSA.  Box 1 of that W-2 shows the amount of income that you were taxed on for income tax purposes.

So apparently you worked part of the year, earning income that was subject to income taxes (and Social Security taxes) and also retired in that year, receiving some Social Security income.  It's coincidental that the two amounts are similar, but they do not represent "double taxation."

Tom Young

Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

No. 

These are two completely separate situations. You 1099-SSA reports monies received. Your W-2 shows the amount of income on which you are contributing to Social Security for the future.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies