turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is value of sick leave used to pay for health ins at retirement taxable?

Retiring with 2,300 hours sick leave.  Employer converts this into a formula and uses the value of this sick leave to continue my health insurance (COBRA styled).  My bank of time = about 14 months of health insurance.  Is this taxable and if so, all up front or evenly over the coverage period?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Generally speaking I agree with Carl.  The most likely treatment is that the cash value of the sick time will be reported on your W-2 as cash wages.  It will be subject to social security, medicare, and regular income taxes, whether you get the money directly or it is paid to the insurance company.  It will be taxable all at once, since you "constructively received" it all at once (and then directed how it should be spent on your behalf.)

Then, since your COBRA insurance is being paid with after-tax dollars, you can deduct them as medical expenses (subject to the 10% rule and itemized deduction rules).

I can't think of a way that your employer can pay COBRA payments with pre-tax dollars (unlike your regular premium share when you were an employee.)

If you retain the option of canceling the COBRA coverage early and getting the rest back as money in your pocket, then the income might be reported as it is "received" (by the insurance company) or it might still be treated as being received all at once.  It's a trickier question.

However, your employer may know a loophole that I don't and they will have the final word.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

This is a question for the payroll department to answer because it depends on how they are handling the payout.
Carl
Level 15

Overall, I would expect the payout to be included on your final W-2 from the employer. But as Critter#2 says, it depends on how payroll is handling the payout. If they pay it to you, then it's taxable income. What you use that taxable income for (if it's paid directly to you) doesn't matter. It's taxable/reportable income.

Generally speaking I agree with Carl.  The most likely treatment is that the cash value of the sick time will be reported on your W-2 as cash wages.  It will be subject to social security, medicare, and regular income taxes, whether you get the money directly or it is paid to the insurance company.  It will be taxable all at once, since you "constructively received" it all at once (and then directed how it should be spent on your behalf.)

Then, since your COBRA insurance is being paid with after-tax dollars, you can deduct them as medical expenses (subject to the 10% rule and itemized deduction rules).

I can't think of a way that your employer can pay COBRA payments with pre-tax dollars (unlike your regular premium share when you were an employee.)

If you retain the option of canceling the COBRA coverage early and getting the rest back as money in your pocket, then the income might be reported as it is "received" (by the insurance company) or it might still be treated as being received all at once.  It's a trickier question.

However, your employer may know a loophole that I don't and they will have the final word.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies