edgardner2015

Where do I put the Medical Insurance amount held from my wife listed on her 1099-R in the account number block?

My wife is a retired state employee and has medical insurance deducted from her retirement check each month. The amount is listed on her 1099-R in the account number block. Where do I list the amount for a decuction?

MiriamF

This amount goes on Schedule A.

To enter health insurance premiums on Schedule A in TurboTax,

1. Click on the Federal Taxes tab.
  2. Below that, select Deductions & Credits.
  3. Select I'll choose what I work on.
  4. Scroll down to Medical and select Medical Expenses.
  5. Work through the pages until you get to Enter Insurance Premiums. Enter the amount from your wife's 1099-R in the box labeled Medical Insurance Premiums.

Whether this amount affects your taxes will depend upon whether you have other expenses to deduct. Medical expenses are deductible only to the extent that they exceed 10% of your AGI (7.5% if you are 65 or older). In order for any of this to count, your total deductions must exceed the standard deduction.

MiriamF

This amount goes on Schedule A.

1. Click on the Federal Taxes tab.
  3. Select I'll choose what I work on.