turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where in turbotax do i enter gift received of 10k from parent? Father-in-Law says I have to disclose it on my Tax Return.

I saw a reference to form 8103, but that doesn't tell me where to enter the information in Turbo Tax!

I saw something about a Generation Skipping Credit, but that is only if I paid taxes on the gift, which I did not.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
maglib
Level 11

Where in turbotax do i enter gift received of 10k from parent? Father-in-Law says I have to disclose it on my Tax Return.

Is your father in law treating it as a gift or is he claiming it as a deduction on a 1099 for services?

The donor is generally responsible for paying the gift tax. Under special arrangements the donee may agree to pay the tax instead. Most likely won't apply for just $10k.

The annual exclusion applies to gifts to each donee. In other words, if you give each of your children $11,000 in 2002-2005, $12,000 in 2006-2008, $13,000 in 2009-2012 and $14,000 on or after January 1, 2013, the annual exclusion applies to each gift. The annual exclusion for 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 is $14,000. For 2018, the annual exclusion is $15,000.

There is a lifetime amount of $5.49mm.

You can read more here:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/estates/the-gift-tax-made-simple/L5tGWVC8N

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

There is no IRS Form 8103.
no1gdo

You don’t need to report anything unless it is over the limit.
maglib
Level 11

Is your father in law treating it as a gift or is he claiming it as a deduction on a 1099 for services?

The donor is generally responsible for paying the gift tax. Under special arrangements the donee may agree to pay the tax instead. Most likely won't apply for just $10k.

The annual exclusion applies to gifts to each donee. In other words, if you give each of your children $11,000 in 2002-2005, $12,000 in 2006-2008, $13,000 in 2009-2012 and $14,000 on or after January 1, 2013, the annual exclusion applies to each gift. The annual exclusion for 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 is $14,000. For 2018, the annual exclusion is $15,000.

There is a lifetime amount of $5.49mm.

You can read more here:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/estates/the-gift-tax-made-simple/L5tGWVC8N

***Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

That is not correct. Gifts are never taxable to the recipient.

It is not taxable, but can be recorded as nontaxable income in the Sales Tax deduction section if you itemize.
maglib
Level 11

@SweetieJean  There are arrangements allowed by the IRS that the recipient pays the tax....  See IRS who pays the tax section:  <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/frequently-asked-questions-on-gift-tax...>

Father- in - law is mistaken.  Gifts that you receive are not taxable and do not get entered on your tax return.  Nor are gifts given to individuals deductible for the person who gave the gift.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies