turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tpctny

I defaulted on a 401k loan then I took advantage of the 60 day rollover rule and added the full amount to an IRA. How do I enter this into TurboTax?

The amount defaulted was rolled over into an IRA in 2016 within 60 days of default

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

I defaulted on a 401k loan then I took advantage of the 60 day rollover rule and added the full amount to an IRA. How do I enter this into TurboTax?

Explain what you mean?

If you default in a 401(k) loan they take the money out of your 401(k) account to pay off the loan.  You would not have the money to roll into anything.   Or do you mean that you rolled the *remainder* of the 401(k) after part of it was used to pay the loan?
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
dmertz
Level 15

A rollover is possible only if this was an offset distribution, reported with code 1, 2 or 7.  If this was instead a deemed distribution, reported with code L (perhaps with code 1 as well), this distribution was not eligible for rollover to an IRA.

What is the code in box 7 of the Form 1099-R provide by the 401(k) plan?
tpctny

There is a 60 day rollover rule which I used to avoid being taxed on the defaulted amount. The 401k service provider sent a 1099-R and a form 5498, I'm trying to figure out how to enter both into turbotax
dmertz
Level 15

What is the code in box 7 of the Form 1099-R provided by the 401(k) plan?
whr2nd

I did this, within 60 days and repaid the exact amount; but TT is telling me that I have over contributed to the IRA and must withdraw to avoid penalties.  I did enter that it was a repayment.
TomD8
Level 15

It's better if you enter your question as a new question, rather than as a comment on a year-old thread.
**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies