Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

skovar

My employer allows both an age 50 and 15 year catch-up contribution to my 403(b) retirement plan. How can I get TurboTax to account for the $3,000 15-year catch up?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My employer allows both an age 50 and 15 year catch-up contribution to my 403(b) retirement plan. How can I get TurboTax to account for the $3,000 15-year catch up?

Incorrect Contribution Limit for 457(b) Catch-up Deferrals
(This applies to 403(b) also)

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

View solution in original post

46 Replies

TurboTax does not account for it, your employer does in box 12 on your W-2.

Or do you mean that you are getting an error on the W-2 box 12?

This is currently being investigated by TurboTax, but in the meantime:

You should NOT change any W-2 information. The IRS gets a copy from the employer and what you report must match. In addition if the W-2 box 1 amount is less the the box 3 amount the difference must be accounted for in box 12 - if not, that could be a "red-flag" audit trigger.

TurboTax has released a FAQ on this issue - the workaround answer is to print and mail the return.
Excess 401(k) Contribution Preventing e-File

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/7327357">https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/7327357</a>
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
skovar

Yes, the difficulty, I think, is that my employer has correctly withheld and reported the contributions, but TurboTax doesn't see them as an allowable contribution, but instead an excess contribution, because there is no where to report that I am eligible for the $3,000 15 year catch-up provision.  I believe what you are saying is that the return will be computed correctly if I enter the amounts as my employer has reported them, and simply file by mail.  Thank you for your assistance.  

Correct, even thought the W-2 is correct, TurboTax will flag it as an error and prevent e-file.  Until they fix this (time unknown) the only way to file is to print and mail.

Intuit, please release a fix for this. I have the same problem (can't e-file with a legitimate $27,500 403(b) contribution for 2018).

Yes, please FIX!!!  Mailing not reasonable option.  Thank you.  Our issue is also the 403b 15 year catch up limit.
byst0008

I have the same issue. This is unacceptable. I spoke to a turbo tax  agent for 45 minutes this morning. He didn't even know what the 15 year provision was and had to look it up in the IRS website (still couldn't find it). I found the info for him on the IRS website...poor service!! Then he spoke to his supervisor who suggested I enter 24500 instead of the 27000 amount listed on my W2. He told me not to worry, putting that amount wouldn;t be a red flag to the IRS and I shouldn't be concerned about an audit. REALLY!!
bigelow

The same thing has happened to me.  Will there be an update to the update before the filing deadline?
bigelow

The same thing has happened to me.  Will there be an update to the update before the filing deadline?

TurboTax does not make software changes this close to the due date.  
adamsear

Yes please fix this before filing deadline--efiling is the main reason I use TurboTax!!
bigelow

Good news: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4732918">https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4732918</a>.  Update coming 4/12.

Don't look for it first thing in the morning - most updates take place late in the day - up to midnight.

I was able to e-file today. Thank you, Intuit, for the fix.
byst0008

I just tried and was not able to proceed past the error. I will try again tomorrow and hope for the fix to work. If there's a trick to get past the error, please share.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies