Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jm4254

New York State Teachers Retirement System pensions are not subject to state tax. This is not being shown in my Turbo tax form. Is there a place to deduct this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Phillip1

New York State Teachers Retirement System pensions are not subject to state tax. This is not being shown in my Turbo tax form. Is there a place to deduct this?

The program does have a screen that is designed to trigger this NY state exclusion. Try following these steps:

1. Click on the search magnifying glass at the top right corner. Type in Form 1099-R
  2. Click on Jump to 1099R in the search results of Go to 1099-R.
  3. Go through the screens associated with the teachers' pension 1099-R again.
  4. Find a screen labeled "Where is this distribution from?"
  5. Click the radio button for the appropriate source
    1. New York State and City Education or
    2. New York State and City Education (optional retirement plan)
  6. Make sure the state distribution amounts have been entered.

This doesn't work

BillM223
Expert Alumni

@DEisen

What doesn't work? The screen doesn't appear or when you check the button, that the pension is not removed?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

When you click on New York State or City Education it increased the Tax Due for NY State (as opposed to the US Government option)  As NY Education Pensions are supposed to be NY State Tax-free and have been for the last 10 years I've been doing my moms return it seems there is something wrong with the program this year.

Did I miss something?  Your directions were right but the calculation that the program does is wrong.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies