Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I owe GA state taxes on 401k money that was technically earned while working my old GA job BUT withdrawn while living in FL before I moved back to GA?

I moved from GA to FL in Oct. 2017. In Jan. 2018 (while living in FL) I withdrew the money from my 401K from my old GA job. Then I moved again BACK to GA ( a new job and city) in Sept. 2018. It was my understanding previously that since I withdrew the money while living in FL that I wouldn't owe GA state taxes on it. But since I moved back to GA again and am filing my 2018 taxes here in GA now, do I owe state taxes on the 401k money that was technically earned while working my original GA job BUT withdrawn while living in FL (where I lived almost a year)?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Do I owe GA state taxes on 401k money that was technically earned while working my old GA job BUT withdrawn while living in FL before I moved back to GA?

The 401K is taxable income to where you were a resident of when you took the withdrawal, which would be FL in your case.

So it would not be subject to GA tax, and it is not GA source income.

I earned my pension in 8 different states, but where I live at the time of the withdrawal determined what state can tax it.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

The 401K is taxable income to where you were a resident of when you took the withdrawal, which would be FL in your case.

So it would not be subject to GA tax, and it is not GA source income.

I earned my pension in 8 different states, but where I live at the time of the withdrawal determined what state can tax it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies