turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I find the lump sum payment for social security in a previous year. It is supposed to be less than zero. How can that be? I cannot file my taxes because of that

i cannot file my taxes because I do not knot how to find the lump sum payment for social security in a previous year. It is supposed to be less than zero. How can that be? It seems to me it is zero, but it does not accept that.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do I find the lump sum payment for social security in a previous year. It is supposed to be less than zero. How can that be? I cannot file my taxes because of that

If there was no lump sum payment on the SSA-1099 for 2016 and you answered the question as No after answering as Yes and the program still wants you to enter the lump sum information, then you need to delete the Social Security benefits worksheet and re-enter the SS tax data.

Click on My Account at the top of the program screen.  Click on Tools.  Click on Delete a form

Delete the Social Security Benefits Worksheet

To enter Social Security benefits reported on form SSA-1099

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Wages and Income (Personal Income using Home and Business)
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Retirement Plans and Social Security
  • On Social Security (SSA-1099, RRB-1099), click the start or update button

Or enter social security benefits in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen.  Click on Jump to social security benefits

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Did you receive a lump sum payment on your 2016 Social Security SSA-1099?  If not, then answer the question concerning receiving a lump sum payment as NO.

That did not work.

What did not work?  Did you receive a lump sum payment on the SSA-1099 for 2016?

If there was no lump sum payment on the SSA-1099 for 2016 and you answered the question as No after answering as Yes and the program still wants you to enter the lump sum information, then you need to delete the Social Security benefits worksheet and re-enter the SS tax data.

Click on My Account at the top of the program screen.  Click on Tools.  Click on Delete a form

Delete the Social Security Benefits Worksheet

To enter Social Security benefits reported on form SSA-1099

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Wages and Income (Personal Income using Home and Business)
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Retirement Plans and Social Security
  • On Social Security (SSA-1099, RRB-1099), click the start or update button

Or enter social security benefits in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen.  Click on Jump to social security benefits

Thanks. Deleting it worked.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies