turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I had an early 401k withdrawal being used to pay for medical expenses. Why does it appear to be showing as still fully taxable when it wasn't on previous tax years?

I had a couple early 401k withdrawals, the largest one was under a hardship and all used for medical expenses. Looks like still being 100% taxed when I wasn't in previous years.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I had an early 401k withdrawal being used to pay for medical expenses. Why does it appear to be showing as still fully taxable when it wasn't on previous tax years?

2 Replies

It is (and always has been) fully taxable, but may be exempt from the 10% penalty.

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/plan-participant-employee/retirement-topics-tax-on-early-distri...

Thanks for your help. Now I understand it.  I appreciate your time.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies