turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

louis7

Is third party sick pay considered earn income, if received and reported on W-2 code J, for Earn Income Credit purpose if received before minimum retirement age?

Earn Income for EIC purpose

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Is third party sick pay considered earn income, if received and reported on W-2 code J, for Earn Income Credit purpose if received before minimum retirement age?

Third party sick pay paid by agents [i.e., insurance company] of the employer are treated as supplemental wage income (see Treasury Regulation 31.3402(g)).  Supplemental wage payments are considered to be earned income for purposes of the Earned Income Tax Credit (see Internal Revenue.Code Section 32(c)(2)(A)(i)).

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Third party sick pay paid by agents [i.e., insurance company] of the employer are treated as supplemental wage income (see Treasury Regulation 31.3402(g)).  Supplemental wage payments are considered to be earned income for purposes of the Earned Income Tax Credit (see Internal Revenue.Code Section 32(c)(2)(A)(i)).

rog3

Thank you. I am new at this. I looked on-line at the Reg and IRC you quoted and do not find the same wording. What am I doing wrong?

Manage cookies