Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I claim myself on my taxes if I received over half of my support from trust distributions? Neither my mom nor my dad can claim me as a dependent.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Can I claim myself on my taxes if I received over half of my support from trust distributions? Neither my mom nor my dad can claim me as a dependent.

The rules for claiming yourself, or if you can be claimed as a dependent are clear, but you have to decide who is eligible to claim your exemption first.  If you meet the qualifications, then you can take your own exemption and your trust distributions would count as your own support.

See page 27 of IRS pub 17 for the conditions that would mean someone else can claim you.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p17.pdf

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

7 Replies
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

The rules for claiming yourself, or if you can be claimed as a dependent are clear, but you have to decide who is eligible to claim your exemption first.  If you meet the qualifications, then you can take your own exemption and your trust distributions would count as your own support.

See page 27 of IRS pub 17 for the conditions that would mean someone else can claim you.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p17.pdf

Thank you for your answer. Can I call the trust distributions "earned income"? I am referring to the question where I am asked if I paid for more than half of my expenses with earned income.
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

No. The IRS defines earned income as:
    Taxable income you earned as an employee, such as wages, salaries, commissions, and tips;
    Profits from operating your business or farm;
    Long-term disability pay, if received before the minimum retirement age;
    Union strike benefits.

Are you seeing something that suggests support has to be from earned income? What section are you seeing the question?

Thanks for the reply. The question is: "Did you support yourself in 2017? Supporting yourself means paying for more than half of your living expenses with earned income." So I'll say no to this.
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3224087-how-do-i-answer-the-did-you-support-yourself-in-2017-quest...>

Makes sense now, thank you so much!
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

You are welcome 🙂
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies