turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I was a full time student from Jan-May, but started a job in September. If I file as a student, seems I'm no longer eligible for the retirement savings deductible?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Ashby

I was a full time student from Jan-May, but started a job in September. If I file as a student, seems I'm no longer eligible for the retirement savings deductible?

That's correct. If you were a full-time student for any portion of at least 5 months out of the year, you are not eligible for the credit in that tax year. 

Technically I graduated in May and only attended classes till mid / end April. Can I remove my status as a student in order to get the retirement savings deductible, or would you not recommend that?
Ashby

Are you not eligible for any education credits? You do not want to lose those.

You're right, got it! Thanks
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies