turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

tnnnn

Why is tax liability $1500 higher on a cashed out IRA belonging to husband than if it belonged to me?

I fixed it! I went back to where I entered my IRA basis info (post-tax contributions to my own personal IRA last year) and realized I had the box checked that my husband also contributed to an IRA last year, which he didn't. So I unchecked that box and the taxes owed went down!

Why is tax liability $1500 higher on a cashed out IRA belonging to husband than if it belonged to me?

Taxable amount is reduced and shown as described when you (the spouse) have a prior years basis in your IRA but your husband does not.

This might be it
tnnnn

Ahhhh. So in 2017 I did take an early distribution from my IRA, it was much much less than the one my husband took in 2018 (2017 was due to a period of unemployment, 2018 was for a down payment on a house). We were married filing jointly in 2017 as well. Why does that impact the taxable income in the following year for a married couple?

i said prior years basis, not prior years distribution. I guess you don't have a basis in your IRA. Do you ?
tnnnn

I don’t think so, but I’m not sure I understand what a basis is.

A basis is an after-tax contribution to the IRA.  If you didn't make such a contribution, unfortunately @fanfare isn't explaining it.

if you have a basis, or TurboTax mistakenly thinks you have a basis, your tax would be reduced.
Enter the distribution under your name, then check the forms in your return to see if Form 8606 is included. Form 8606 does the calculation.

If you have a basis, TurboTax would also ask you for the year end value of your IRA.
There is probably something else going on here.

if you are taking the $10,000 penalty exemption for a home purchase, perhaps it is not being applied when you switch owners from  the  the first owner entered to the other spouse
tnnnn

I did contribute to a personal IRA in 2018, so I do have form 8606. Now I can see where the # difference comes from between the two - the discrepancy between taxable income is equal to the amount I contributed in 2018 to my personal IRA. Now my question is why - why does my IRA contribution decrease our taxable income in one situation but not the other?
tnnnn

Just to be clear I DO have a basis in my IRA for 2018. My husband does not have a basis in his IRA for 2018, but he took a withdrawal from one of his IRAs.

TurboTax should also ask you for the year end value of your IRA. Did that happen too. ?
When the IRA distribution is showing in your name print the 8606 and examine for correctness.
I don't see how it could be correct.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies