Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

tomf60

How to report excess deferral (401k over contribution) in 2018 without a 1099R?

You will need to add the excess as indicated above to wages . It does not let you efile. You need to mail your returns.. It is a bug that TT can not figure out.  This is somewhat of a common thing that happens. Pretty disappointed. Will try other software next time.
ammpet

so this won't allow me to file federal, and i will have to paper file my state return as well, this drives me nuts. bye bye next year

as of 4/8 730pm, still no fix.  have been on hold trying to reach Turbo Tax for hours
tsoli1
Returning Member

I have the same issue and its baffling that TurboTax cannot fix this issue. This is one of the common use case, and should have been fixed from day 1. I just filed with H&R Block and they handled the excess contribution (adding the excess amount as income) without me having do to anything.

This is disappointing on TurboTax part.
eugene-b

Wow, I'm so happy I've found this thread. I have over-contributed to 401k in 2018, withdrawn excess deferral and was hoping to finalize my returns today. If Turbotax doesn't allow me to make a e-file in this situation, it's a huge problem. Will have to look for other options. It's a pity through - I've been Turbotax customer for 5 years...

Still no fix!!!! Turbotax will refuse to refund me
dflorea

I will also request a refund and migrate to h&r

Confirming they finally fixed it. I was able to e-file and has withdrawn my refund request.

It does not matter.  Both do exactly the same thing - add the excess contribution to your taxable wages.  Two ways to do the same thing. 

=======

You do not need to wait for a 1099-R next year that will probably require you to amend your 2018 tax return to report the excess on line 7 of your tax return - it can be entered this way and then ignore the 2018 1099-R with a code P in box 7 when it comes.

There are two methods to do this:
1) Enter a 1099-R with the returned contribution amount (not including earnings) in box 1 & 2a, and a code "P" in box 7. When asked what year 1099-R say 2019.

or 2)
Excess 401(k) deferrals should be reported in:
(There are several screens to click through to get to the right place)

Miscellionious Income ->
Other Income not reported on a W-2 ->
Other wages (yes) ->
House Hold employee (Continue) ->
Sick Pay (Continue) ->
Other earned income (yes) (Includes excess salary deferrals)->
Source of income (other) ->
Any other income - enter the amount of the excess deferral and an explanation.

This will add the returned excess to your 2018 wages on line 1 exactly the same way that the 1099-R would. The only information that is sent to the IRS is the line 1 amount.

[Note: If there were any earning that were returned in 2019 then the earnings will be reported on a separate 2019 1099-R with a code 8 that goes on your 2019 tax return - do not enter the earnings here.]

Both methods will add the returned excess to your 2018 wages on line 1 exactly the same way that the 1099-R would. The only information that is sent to the IRS is the line 1 amount.

For information see IRS Pub 525 page 10
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p525.pdf

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
mlaksmana

Following the option#2 where you report the over contribution now without 1099-R, which amount do I enter -the gross over contributed $ or the net over contributed $ (after loss and federal tax)? Thanks in advance.
mlaksmana

And can i report the loss on my over contibution?

@mlaksmana - Refer to the IRS Pub 525 page 10
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p525.pdf">https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p525.pdf</a>

'Report a loss on a corrective distribution of an excess deferral in the year the excess amount (reduced by the loss) is distributed to you. In-clude the loss as a negative amount on Sched-ule 1 (Form 1040), line 21, and identify it as “Loss on Excess Deferral Distribution.”'
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Turbotax keeps giving me an error: Elective referrals TP $$$$$ is more than the allowed 18500 for 401K plan. Please check your entries

@panos_spiros - see answer below.

Understood that option #2 should be easier to report, but both prevent from efiling Federal Tax  Return. Nevertheless, can we still efile for State Tax reporting (Ex: NY)? It is not clear. Please advise.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies