turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

SSA classified me as having "Permanent Total Disability"

I was classified by SSA as having a permanent total disability in 2021.  I will not turn 65 until August of 2022.  Are there tax breaks that I may be eligible for?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

The elderly and disabled can receive a tax credit that could reduce and even potentially eliminate the tax they owe for the entire year.    Taxpayers who are under 65 years of age can still claim the tax credit if they are retired on permanent and total disability, or if they receive taxable disability income during the year and do not reach the mandatory retirement age by the first day of the tax year.    If you’re unclear what the age is for mandatory retirement, it’s the age when an employer forces employees to retire and it’s different for different businesses.

The IRS defines a permanent disability as one that prevents you from engaging in consistent employment. It does not include activities that relate to ordinary personal and household maintenance. If you can still take care of your house and daily life, that doesn’t mean that you are capable of gainful employment and the IRS understands that.   However, the level of household activity is a factor the IRS may consider in determining whether you have a permanent and total disability. Claiming the credit also requires you to obtain a statement from your physician certifying that you are permanently and totally disabled.

What are the income limits for the disability credit?   For more info, click this link.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies

For disabled adults:

There is an extra amount added to your standard deduction if you are legally blind.   Your federal return does not provide any other credits or deductions for saying you are disabled, with one possible exception.  

There is a credit for the Elderly and Disabled which is so small that very few people benefit from it—-it has not been updated/increased by Congress for decades.

ELDERLY OR DISABLED CREDIT https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/do-i-qualify-for-the-credit-for-the-elderly-or-disabled

There are some states that provide various credits to elderly/disabled folks, so watch for that when you prepare your state return.   The states that I know of that have anything for elderly/disabled are AZ, CT, DE, IA, MO, ND, NY, VE.   There may be others.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

The elderly and disabled can receive a tax credit that could reduce and even potentially eliminate the tax they owe for the entire year.    Taxpayers who are under 65 years of age can still claim the tax credit if they are retired on permanent and total disability, or if they receive taxable disability income during the year and do not reach the mandatory retirement age by the first day of the tax year.    If you’re unclear what the age is for mandatory retirement, it’s the age when an employer forces employees to retire and it’s different for different businesses.

The IRS defines a permanent disability as one that prevents you from engaging in consistent employment. It does not include activities that relate to ordinary personal and household maintenance. If you can still take care of your house and daily life, that doesn’t mean that you are capable of gainful employment and the IRS understands that.   However, the level of household activity is a factor the IRS may consider in determining whether you have a permanent and total disability. Claiming the credit also requires you to obtain a statement from your physician certifying that you are permanently and totally disabled.

What are the income limits for the disability credit?   For more info, click this link.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks,

Unfortunately, my pension puts me over the income limit. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies