turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Pensions not included in 1040 Line 4a? But is included in Line 4b. Line 4b should not be > 4a. Line 4a should be all 1099-R B1, Line 4b sum of Box 2a.

My line 4b>line 4a and my line 4a = line 7 of form 8606T which it should not be How does yours work when you said yours Form 8606T is ok?? Thank you.

Pensions not included in 1040 Line 4a? But is included in Line 4b. Line 4b should not be > 4a. Line 4a should be all 1099-R B1, Line 4b sum of Box 2a.

You should override the amount in 4a to the correct amount.  I filed early and this did not flag an error.  The IRS "corrected" my return and sent me too much money back because they deducted the amount from the taxable amount.  Now I get to deal with this issue.

This very issue has my refund tied up with the IRS for a month. And I'm not happy about it. Trying to get an answer about what was going on with my return took about 5 hours of time on the phone with them. If Turbo Tax knows about it and hasn't fixed it yet, shame on them. Beware, if you file with this glitch, prepare to have your return on hold indefinitely. I've been a loyal TT customer for 12 or 13 years but next year will be looking elsewhere after all of this.
pauln
Returning Member

Craig:  I filed "as is" and my refund was not delayed.

So did I.

my solution found in comments: pension distns totally taxed should not go in 4a

After reading through lots of comments, I went ahead and e-filed, with 4a showing my non-taxable 1099, and 4b my taxable 1099. My return was accepted, and I have already received my refund.

Line 4a should be actual amount of  total 1099-R distributions excluding pension, Line 4b captures pension and and ONLY taxable amount of total 1099-R distributions. Since 2018 1040 no longer has separate pension  line as reported in previous years, I believe that is the way 1040 should be reported.

My problem was that TTAX didn't consider a zero and a blank as being equal.  when I replaced the zero's with blanks everything worked out fine.

@angela829 Line 4a should include the pension if the pension is NOT fully taxable. It should also include IRAs if they are partially taxable or, according to IRS instructions, if there are multiple distributions.   My line 4a only shows my pension since it is partially taxable.  My fully taxable IRAs and the taxable part of my pension are on line 4b.  If an official from TT would step in and clarify then this would be helpful.

@cowgirlrising Thanks for posting that information.  Did you e-file or paper file?  I'm assuming that your line 4a was less than 4b.  Did you have  multiple distributions?

@avian99 as per IRS 1040 instructions, the fully taxable pension is only reported on line 4b and none reported on line 4a. All 1099R gross distributions should be included on line 4a and theirs related-taxable distributions will be included on line 4b together with fully taxable pension. That is why the 4b > line 4a.
You can retrieve IRS 1040 instruction from IRS.gov. Hope you will agree with me.
Bamboo
Returning Member

Sorry, can't agree. I'm less concerned with the instructions and more concerned with the information the IRS wants, which is for the gross distribution to be shown on the 1040. If all distributions are fully taxed, it's on 4b. If not, the gross needs to be on 4a.

@avian99 I e-filed. Two distributions: non-taxable pension went on 4a, taxable IRA distribution on 4b. IRS accepted & the refund was issued promptly.

Cowgirlrising all my distributions were taxable on line 4b but I had to enter manually.  Since I've been using TTAX for more than 20 years and all my returns are available TTAX should have ported this information automatically to my return.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies