turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Dino2

Social security

Would like to know which Turbotax version I need to purchase for this year. The only income I have is social security disability and medical expense deductions. Also, where do I enter the income in the recommended version of Turbotax. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Social security

Social Security Retirement/Disability/Survivors benefits are reported on a form SSA-1099 and the benefits received are reported on a federal tax return. The benefits may be taxable depending on the amount of other income you have entered on your tax return.
However, if the Social Security benefits are the Only income to be reported on the tax return, then there is no reason or need to file a tax return.

Any of the TurboTax editions can be used to report SS income.  If you have no taxable income you are not required to file a tax return and any medical expenses you have are entered on a Schedule A as an itemized deduction.  But if you have no taxable income, the deductions have no affect on your tax return.

If you have federal income taxes being withheld from your SS income, then you can file a tax return to get a refund of the taxes withheld.  Or if you receive health insurance from one of the state Marketplace Exchanges and receive a Form 1095-A for the health insurance, then you need to file a tax return.

To enter Social Security benefits reported on form SSA-1099

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Wages and Income (Personal Income using Home and Business)
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Retirement Plans and Social Security
  • On Social Security (SSA-1099, RRB-1099), click the start or update button

Or enter ssa-1099 in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to ssa-1099

Social security

If you only get SS or SSDI you don't need to file a tax return.  It is not taxable and there is no benefit in claiming deductions or dependents.  Unless you are married.  If you want to file you will not be able to efile without taxable income so you will have to print and mail your return.  You can use the Free Edition.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Social security

what state do you live in.  some states with an income tax may tax some of your social security benefits even if you are not required to file a federal return 

Dino2

Social security

I’m in California. 

Social security

@Dino2 wrote:

I’m in California. 

California has special provisions exempting Social Security benefits from state taxation.

Social security

Still can’t find it

Social security

@pammsilver wrote:

Still can’t find it

Find what?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies