Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Social security benefits (6a) not shown?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

16 Replies

There is not a Box 6a on a SSA-1099.  There is a box 6 which would have the federal taxes withheld, if any.

Did you enter your Social Security SSA1099 in the right place?  If you entered it as a 1099R by mistake that is why you are not seeing it on line 6a.

Go to Federal> Wages & Income>>Retirement Plans and Social Security  (SSA1099 and 1099RRB) to enter your SSA1099.

If you entered in the wrong place you will need to delete the incorrect entry.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Oh, you are referring to Line 6a on the Form 1040.  If you did not enter your SSA-1099 in the correct section of the program then Line 6a would not have an entry.

To enter Social Security benefits reported on form SSA-1099

Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
Click on Wages and Income (Personal Income using Home and Business)
Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
Scroll down to Retirement Plans and Social Security
On Social Security (SSA-1099, RRB-1099), click the start or update button

Or enter ssa-1099 in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to ssa-1099

re: 6a on 1040-SR 

Form 1040 and 1040SR are identical.  All the lines are the same.   If your Social Security is not showing on line 6a of a 1040 or 1040SR and you are sure you entered it, then you entered it in the wrong place.

The only difference between 1040 and 1040SR is the larger print for a 1040SR.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@dendarstrand wrote:

re: 6a on 1040-SR 

Form 1040 and Form 1040-SR are exactly the same.

turbo tax never prompted me for this info?

@dendarstrand What is the real issue?  Did you already e-file without entering your Social Security?   

yes

yes, already filed yesterday. I did all the prompts and no prompts or questions re: SSA berifits??

what next??

@dendarstrand You e-filed without entering all of your income.  So, now you wait for the IRS to fully process your tax return and then you need to amend to add the SSA1099.  Do not amend until the IRS has processed the original return.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-return/amend-change-correct-return-a...

I don't understand how this happened? There was never a prompt or place to put the SSA income?

had I not read the full print out page by page later, I would have never known?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies