turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I include dividend and distribution income (Form 1099-DIV) in all state returns?

I am preparing 3 separate state returns, as I am a remote employee that works for a university out of Virginia. At the same time I worked part of the year (4 months) in Iowa and the rest of the year (8 months) in North Carolina. The investments that I have are associated with my old home address in Virginia, as my mother was the creator of the account, although the investments are under my SSN. My Form 1099-DIV has the following boxes with totals: 

• 1a. - Total ordinary dividends 
  • 10. - Exempt-interest dividends 
  • 11. - Specified private activity bond interest dividends

I currently have these amounts assigned to my Virginia return, but I don't know how to allocate them to my Iowa and North Carolina return. Do I need to allocate all of the totals for all three states, or is the investment only associated with the Virginia return based on the address? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
maglib
Level 11

Should I include dividend and distribution income (Form 1099-DIV) in all state returns?

So You allocate the personal dividends and interest only to the states of residence. Your residence is the place you intend to return to as your permanent home.  they are not linked to your  temporary or non-resident employment at these other locations. You were not clear if any of these moves were permanent or temporary.

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
maglib
Level 11

So You allocate the personal dividends and interest only to the states of residence. Your residence is the place you intend to return to as your permanent home.  they are not linked to your  temporary or non-resident employment at these other locations. You were not clear if any of these moves were permanent or temporary.

***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
maglib
Level 11

@jslcontact

What you do with income such as dividends and interest with the States is:

Allocate some to each state.  If paid throughout the year (which most are) then allocate it by time in each state. 

I see 4 months (1/3) for one state and 8 months (2/3) for the other.  I do not see a filing requirement for VA unless you have VA taxes withheld and then would file a return with no income to get the money back.  

See below:

https://www.tax.virginia.gov/who-must-file

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies