turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can Roth IRA Over contribution in 2016 be corrected in early 2018 before filing date?

I contributed too much to my Roth in 2016.  I paid the 6% penalty on my 2016 tax return.  If I remove the excess contribution in January 2018 before filing my tax return will I still need to pay the penalty on my 2017 return?  Have I missed the opportunity to avoid the penalty by not removing the money in 2017?  I cannot contribute anything to IRA in 2017 or 2018 because of no earned income.  Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

Can Roth IRA Over contribution in 2016 be corrected in early 2018 before filing date?

Since you did not resolve the excess before the end of 2017, you are subject to another 6% penalty for 2017.  Removing the excess in January 2018 will avoid another 6% penalty for 2018.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

Since you did not resolve the excess before the end of 2017, you are subject to another 6% penalty for 2017.  Removing the excess in January 2018 will avoid another 6% penalty for 2018.

dmertz
Level 15

To remove the excess for 2018 you must make a regular distribution of the amount of the excess with no adjustment for gains or losses while in the account.  The distribution will be a nontaxable distribution of contribution basis.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies