Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

coladarci

Do i need to amend my taxes because i had excess contributions on my roth ira since 2015?

i had excess contribution  for my roth ira listed on my 2015 income tax form 5329. i also had excess contributions in 2016 and 2017. i paid the necessary taxes due to the excess contributions. now for the 2018 income tax, i want to take the roth ira withdrawal to correct the excess contributions for the 3 years prior. how do i correct this mess?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

Do i need to amend my taxes because i had excess contributions on my roth ira since 2015?

Since the excess has not yet been corrected, you have another 6% penalty for 2018 unless you can apply the excess as a contribution for 2018.  If you can't apply the excess as a 2018 contribution, the excess has now carried into 2019.  To resolve the excess and avoid another 6% penalty for 2019, take a regular Roth IRA distribution of exactly the amount of the excess, with no adjustment for earnings or loss, by the end of 2019.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
dmertz
Level 15

Since the excess has not yet been corrected, you have another 6% penalty for 2018 unless you can apply the excess as a contribution for 2018.  If you can't apply the excess as a 2018 contribution, the excess has now carried into 2019.  To resolve the excess and avoid another 6% penalty for 2019, take a regular Roth IRA distribution of exactly the amount of the excess, with no adjustment for earnings or loss, by the end of 2019.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies