Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

12C letter if you included qual'd disaster relief contri' in the total amount on schedule A, line 11 identify the qualified contribution amount in your response? no form!

All the letter requires is identify the qualified contribution amount for disaster relief for schedule A line 11. Why are they asking for this? And where is the forum? Do I just fax them an amount

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

12C letter if you included qual'd disaster relief contri' in the total amount on schedule A, line 11 identify the qualified contribution amount in your response? no form!

Simply follow the notice instructions carefully ... send them exactly what they are asking for so they can finish processing the return. 

Why they want it now is a mystery but this seems to be a new trend for the  IRS to ask for supporting documents prior to releasing the refund instead of auditing the return 2 years later ... must be part of the new system to keep from sending out incorrect refund amounts to start with instead of trying to get the money back later. 

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/understanding-your-letter-0012c

The 'Simply follow the instructions ' is not an adequate answer.

This ltr 12c appears as a brand new thing in the IRS communications but is not identified in the 1040 process or Turbotax Premier.
Follow the instructions with what response? What data? What amounts? What kind of verification when there is no other paperwork?

I dont see the complete analysis or detail to the start of this process but there are answers to the final part that do not equate to any thing I can supply from the beginning or intermediate steps.

@phyzx 

See this TurboTax support FAQ for information on the IRS Letter 12C - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/health-care/help/the-irs-is-requesting-form-8962/00/27409

'If you have included qualified disaster relief contributions in the total amount of Schedule, line 11, identify the qualified contribution amount in your response.'

I need to validate something with the I.R.S. with further qualifying information.

Do I send a response that this does not relate to me and my filing circumstances?

TurboTax did place a 'Limited' phrase in schedule A line 14 'Add lines 11-13'.

When is my healthcare account connected with disaster relief contributions?

For 2021, cash contributions to a Qualified Charity are 100% deductible up to your Adjusted Gross Income. Usually, these donations are only 60% deductible. Also, for 2021, cash contributions for disaster relief are 100% deductible. The "disaster" must be a Qualified Disaster. This means that certain domestic disasters from 2019 and 2020 such as the wildfires and some other natural disasters qualify as well as some foreign disasters for the current year. You can look up Qualified Disaster on the IRS page and follow the trail of publications like I did or go directly to publications 526 and 976.
The letter is asking you to identify the amount, if any, of your charitable contributions that were for qualified disaster relief. They decided after the fact, and still have not updated the forms or publications, that they wanted us to identify this amount on our Schedule A Line 11 "Write-in Text" section. I am assuming that the IRS decided not to update their form or publications because this was a recent addition, and it is only for this year. Turbo Tax, therefore, did not pick up this change.

How should you answer? Well, truthfully of course. Be aware that if you did make any Qualified Disaster Relief Contributions that you need special written documentation from the charity that the money was used for relief. (Pub 976, pg 7)

For myself, my charity does engage in disaster relief but I made no special donations directed to these Qualified Disasters so I will respond to this letter identifying $0 for disaster relief. This will not change my refund amount because the cash contributions I made are already 100% deductible.

My letter directs me to fax in a response with a cover sheet that includes some specific information. After my cover sheet I will send a single page with a short sentence states that $0 were for disaster relief. I will also include a copy of the letter I received as my third page in the fax. After I fax the documents I will print out a confirmation from the fax machine that my fax was received and staple it to the documents and keep it for my records. The next week I will call the phone number on the back of the letter and confirm my fax was received and my information was updated in their system.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies