turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

iwansue

I received a 1099 INT for interest on a SEP IRA. I did not withdraw but reinvested. Do I need to claim as Interest ORis it deferred until withdraw it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT
Expert Alumni

I received a 1099 INT for interest on a SEP IRA. I did not withdraw but reinvested. Do I need to claim as Interest ORis it deferred until withdraw it?

All earnings (interest and dividends) on a qualified retirement account such as a SEP IRA are tax-deferred until they are distributed. You do not report this form 1099-INT on your tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

7 Replies
MinhT
Expert Alumni

All earnings (interest and dividends) on a qualified retirement account such as a SEP IRA are tax-deferred until they are distributed. You do not report this form 1099-INT on your tax return.

iwansue

should they have sent me a 1099 R and should I tell them? Should I be concerned this was reported to IRS on 1099 INT?
iwansue

OR was it correct they sent the 1099 INT?
MinhT
Expert Alumni

They are correct in sending you form 1099-INT. If the recipient of the interest is your SEP IRA account, the IRS knows that this is tax-deferred. You only receive a form 1099-R if you made a withdrawal from your SEP IRA account.
iwansue

thank you!
MinhT
Expert Alumni

You're welcome!
dmertz
Level 15

Under no circumstances should your SEP-IRA custodian be issuing to you a Form 1099-INT related to investments in a SEP-IRA account.  I would question whether or not this account is actually a SEP-IRA.  Contact the custodian of the account to investigate the error by the custodian.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies