Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Should the box numbers on the 1099R in the turbo tax screens match the box numbers on the 2020 1099-R boxes 12, 14, 16 they don't how should we proceed?

@warwickdavis The problem is the 1099-R changed between 2019 and 2020. The Coast Guard is using the old style forms. Just input state tax in state tax, etc. As long as the correct number is in the matching box, you are good.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Should the box numbers on the 1099R in the turbo tax screens match the box numbers on the 2020 1099-R boxes 12, 14, 16 they don't how should we proceed?

Thanks - that's what I did.

Still, I gotta say that if the software had made some mention of this issue, it would have saved me a few gray hairs.

True.....they might have ( later in the season )  mentioned the fact that the box numbers changed

.......but then TTX had no idea so many issuers would screw up their own 1099-R forms and clients by  not following the proper IRS format for 2020 box numbering. 

Most 1099-R issuers are following the proper Box numbering format......and it's not TTX's fault that a few issuers were not competently changing their forms to the proper IRS-required 2020 format.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies