turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Unable to file electronically due to 401K over contribution

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

14 Replies

It is a bug that will be fixed next week.

You should NOT change any W-2 information. The IRS gets a copy from the employer and what you report must match. In addition if the W-2 box 1 amount is less the the box 3 amount the difference must be accounted for in box 12 - if not, that could be a "red-flag" audit trigger.

TurboTax has released a FAQ on this issue - scheduled for 4/5/2019

Excess 401(k) Contribution Preventing e-File

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/7327357

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
zhl203

I have the same issue and I live in NY.  It says "New York State requires this income tax return to be filed electronically. New York State law requires income tax returns prepared using software to be e-filed.  Because this New York State return was prepared using software, you MUST file it electronically."  Should I ignore this and mail the New York State return?

We are paying turboxtax mainly for e-file. Shall we ask a refund for this kind of bugs that prevent us from e-filing?
zhl203

I have been checking for updates and it says I already have the latest update. The issue is still not fixed. NY law requires me to file my tax return electronically. Am I breaking the law here because of TurboTax?

No.   The NY law specifically says that law does not apply if the software you are using does not support e-file and in this case is does not.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
rb50000

Same with me. Problem is still not fixed. Been waiting for update for 2 weeks now!

The only solution is to print and mail file.  There will be no more updates prior to the filing date.
rb50000

Thanks macuser_22. Is this the official response from Intuit?

The official response is the published FAQ above.

Just announced:  An update currently planned for April 12th, 2019 will resolve the issue of a looping interview preventing e-file.  You may still see a warning of excess contribution, but e-file will be available.
zhl203

Just mailed my return today plus this is too close to the deadline, not going to risk it.
rb50000

Thanks macuser_22. I will wait for the update to efile.

Thanks I will wait also. At least I can file extension even if it delays.

Then print, sign and mail.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies