turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Roth IRA Direct Transfer If Check Issued

I am trying to transfer Roth IRA funds from broker to bank. If broker sends a check from my Roth account made payable to <<Receiving Institution>> FBO, For Benefit of <<my name>> and sends to my address, and then I bring to the bank but I don't cash this check but rather bring this check and deposits directly into my Roth IRA at bank is this considered a direct transfer?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Yes ... this is a direct transfer because YOU cannot negotiate the check ... it must be put in the account the check is written out to. 

dmertz
Level 15

However, the check should be made out to <<Receiving Institution>> FBO <<my name>> Roth IRA.  Leaving off the "Roth IRA" portion allows the check to be deposited into any of your accounts at the receiving institution.  Depositing it into an account other than a Roth IRA would disqualify the transaction from being a trustee-to-trustee transfer even if the funds are subsequently deposited into a Roth IRA.  If that happens it would constitute a reportable distribution and rollover rather than a nonreportable trustee-to-trustee transfer.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies