turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Rollover distribution showing as taxable

I did a direct rollover from a 401k to a traditional IRA. I received a 1099-R coded G in box 7 and the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box is not checked. The taxable amount in box 2a is $0.00, the Taxable amount not determined box 2b is not checked, and the Total distribution box 2b is checked. I also received a Form 5498 that shows the rollover contribution to my new IRA. I never received the rollover funds. The problem is TurboTax is showing the rollover amount is taxable. What could I be doing wrong?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

More than likely you have mistakenly indicated in the follow-up questions that the distribution was rolled over to a Roth IRA.  

Go back through the Form 1099-R section and edit your Form 1099-R.  Without making any changes, click Continue to review all of the follow-up questions again.  The first question will ask if it was rolled into a Roth 401k or 403b.  Answer No.  The next question will ask if it was rolled into a Roth IRA.  Be sure to answer No to this question as well, then it is assumed that it was rolled to a Traditional IRA and therefore not taxable.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I already looked at both of those questions and I answered No to both. No to rolled over to Roth 401k and No to rolled over to Roth IRA. I must be something simple (and stupid) that I've done to cause that. Any other ideas???

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Please check Form 1040 line 5b it should say $0 and state ROLLOVER next to it. Please be aware that the distribution will be included on the TurboTax summary page which shows gross income.

If this doesn't help then try to delete and reenter the Form 1099-R. 

1. Login to your TurboTax Account 
  2. Click on "Search" on the top right and type “1099-R”
  3. Click on “Jump to 1099-R”
  4. Make sure you answer "No" to the follow up questions "if it was rolled into a Roth 401k or 403b" and "if it was rolled into a Roth IRA"

If you still need help after trying this then you might need more detailed help. Please see What is the TurboTax phone number?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks. I had to look at the 1040 to actually see what was included in the taxable income. The info shown in TurboTax was a little confusing and misleading. Everything is good now and i really appreciate your help. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies