turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

verad

I have a pension. not an ira. why is the program asking about rmd on my 1099R.

turbo tax is forcing me to answer several yes no questions about rmd. my pension has nothing to do with rmd.  this has been a problem for years.  why hasn't turbo tax fixed this so you are not running down a list of questions that are impossible to answer because none are correct.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Fern

RMD is required for all retirement accounts.  That is why Turbo Tax has to ask the question, even for pensions.

For pensions, if it is a qualified plan, the RMD requirement is met because you are receiving periodic payments.  However, if you have the ability to control the payments amount, then you must calculate the proper RMD amount to withdraw.

If you are receiving a pension and cannot change the monthly amount, respond yes that you have taken your RMD for this retirement account.

View solution in original post

15 Replies
Fern

RMD is required for all retirement accounts.  That is why Turbo Tax has to ask the question, even for pensions.

For pensions, if it is a qualified plan, the RMD requirement is met because you are receiving periodic payments.  However, if you have the ability to control the payments amount, then you must calculate the proper RMD amount to withdraw.

If you are receiving a pension and cannot change the monthly amount, respond yes that you have taken your RMD for this retirement account.
verad

Turbo tax should ask if the 1099-R is a transitional pension with a fixed monthly payout (not any type of IRA or IRA like fund).  Then it could skip over all the RMD questions.  It would reduce a lot of confusion.  Thanks

I agree with this comment.   If I respond yes, then it ask is this 100% RMD.   I don't know nor do I think my plan coordinator would know.    I think Turbo Tax should correct this in their software as discussed in the comments above,    It is a confusing issue and does not seem to impact the tax results as I tried it both ways.

I understand why TT is asking about RMD's but the way it asks about it is confusing.  It should say that you've met the RMD if you have no control over the monthly amount paid and not ask if all of you monthly annuity is an RMD.   

If 'YES' then what do I put for the 'percent' part of the TT form ?  this is a monthly Pension payment ?

What "percent part"?   Do you have your 2018 1099-R?
Do you mean the RMD - it is ALL the RMD if a pension.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
cmdani

I answered no will that be a problem

@cmdani  - Yes,  Answering no will subject it to a large penalty for not taking the RMD.   
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
cmdani

Even though this not an IRA it’s a pension plan

Yes - read the answer above.   But if you did not enter the amount of RMD and the amount taken as zero when it asks for it then the penalty will not be assessed.
cmdani

Would it be necessary to file an amended form

Only if a 5329 form was part of your tax return with an amount on line 55.
cmdani

Not sure what a form 5329 is

Reports penalties.  Also look on the 1040 form line 59.  If not there or you had a 1040A or 1040EZ then there was no penalty so don't worry about it.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies