turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I inherited a Hartford Life & Annuity Ins Co from my mother. The question turbo tax ask. 1. Was some or all of the withdrawl RMD? 2. Was all RMD? 3. Was I getting regular RMD payments?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

I inherited a Hartford Life & Annuity Ins Co from my mother. The question turbo tax ask. 1. Was some or all of the withdrawl RMD? 2. Was all RMD? 3. Was I getting regular RMD payments?

TurboTax asks this question only to determine the portion that might otherwise be eligible for rollover.  However, because you are not permitted to roll over any distributions from this account inherited from your mother (and therefore did not roll over any of this distribution), you can simply say that the entire amount was RMD.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

TurboTax asks this question only to determine the portion that might otherwise be eligible for rollover.  However, because you are not permitted to roll over any distributions from this account inherited from your mother (and therefore did not roll over any of this distribution), you can simply say that the entire amount was RMD.

Fern

RMD is required for all retirement accounts.  That is why Turbo Tax has to ask the question.  When you inherit an account from someone other than your spouse, you have to take an RMD based on that person's age.

If you took a total distribution, the RMD requirement is met.

If you are taking monthly payments, the RMD requirement is met if the payments are based on your mother's age.

The Required Minimum Distribution (RMD) amount for a retirement account is determined by applying a life expectancy factor set by the IRS to your account balance at the end of the previous year. To calculate your RMD:

Find your age in the IRS Uniform Lifetime Table (below).
Locate the corresponding life expectancy factor.
Divide your retirement account balance as of December 31 of the prior year by your life expectancy factor.

The IRS has worksheets for you to do these calculations.  See https://www.irs.gov/Retirement-Plans/Plan-Participant,-Employee/Required-Minimum-Distribution-Worksh...
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies