turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

portia933

I have recieved an annuity from the Defense Finance and Accounting Service since my husband died in 1996. Why would it suddenly be RMD?

I am 73 now but am receiving RMD through another annuity (USAA).  The annuity I receive from Defense has always been taxable, so I do not think it requires RMD.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Fern

I have recieved an annuity from the Defense Finance and Accounting Service since my husband died in 1996. Why would it suddenly be RMD?

RMD is required for all retirement accounts.  That is why Turbo Tax has to ask the question.  For pensions, if it is a qualified plan, the RMD requirement is met because you are receiving periodic payments.  However, if you have the ability to control the payments amount, then you must calculate the proper RMD amount to withdraw.

If you are receiving a pension and cannot change the monthly amount, respond yes that you have taken your RMD for this retirement account.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Fern

RMD is required for all retirement accounts.  That is why Turbo Tax has to ask the question.  For pensions, if it is a qualified plan, the RMD requirement is met because you are receiving periodic payments.  However, if you have the ability to control the payments amount, then you must calculate the proper RMD amount to withdraw.

If you are receiving a pension and cannot change the monthly amount, respond yes that you have taken your RMD for this retirement account.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies