turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Returns rejected because TurboTax thinks Roth IRA conversion was an inherited IRA.

In the section for 1099-R entries, I clicked "no" to the question of whether my Roth IRA conversion distribution was inherited.  I also answered the question asking what I did with the money that I moved it to another retirement account, did a Roth conversion, and that the total amount was converted.  The review told me there were no errors. The email from TurboTax says my returns were rejected because "FED_Taxable_Inherited_IRA - There is a potential issue with the calculation of your Taxable Inherited IRA."  What happened, and how can I fix it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

Returns rejected because TurboTax thinks Roth IRA conversion was an inherited IRA.

It appears that all tax returns that include Form 8606 Part I are being intercepted while the developers fix a problem related to distributions from inherited IRAs.  I don't think it's meant to indicate that your tax return reports a distribution from an inherited IRA.

View solution in original post

26 Replies

Sorry, can't answer your question. However, there are other threads on this same topic. You're not alone! You may want to watch those. 

It appears that TurboTax is REJECTING certain returns out of caution while they investigate various BUGs in TurboTax.

A really bad year for TurboTax.

Thanks.  I saw those other people who were having problems with their actual inherited IRAs and Form 8606.  Of course, I don't have an inherited IRA, although I did use 8606 to figure the taxable portion of my IRA conversion distribution.  Anyway, that would explain why I have nothing to fix.

dmertz
Level 15

It appears that all tax returns that include Form 8606 Part I are being intercepted while the developers fix a problem related to distributions from inherited IRAs.  I don't think it's meant to indicate that your tax return reports a distribution from an inherited IRA.

Thanks!  I guess we're all stuck until March 5--assuming it's really cleared up by then.

It's March 1st.  Can someone at TurbotTax give us an update on the fix and if the March 5 date still holds?

TomL911

Seriously TurboTax, get it together: None of my IRAs are inherited, yet, my returns were rejected by the IRA and my state. What do I need to do to fix this? No errors were discovered prior to submittal. Please help.

drobb94941
Returning Member

My return was rejected today due to a potential issue with taxable inherited IRA. I do not have an inherited IRA, but I did file form 8606 for myself and wife.  I too will have to wait until March  5 for the fix.  My only concern is that I paid my Federal tax owed as of today March 1.  I hope the IRS can keep track of my payment even though the final return will now be dalayed until March 5 or later.

rk6987

Been filing 8606 with turbotax for years and this is the first time I have had a problem. I never had an inherited IRA and hopefully the team at Intuit can get their act together and fix this. What an embarrassment for such a simple form. So now after it's fixed we have to refile again ? There should be compensation involved for those inconvenienced by this problem.

dmertz
Level 15

A rejected tax return has not been filed.  You'll have to attempt filing again.

Print the return animal it in. 

I had the same thing happen.  System appears to think my conversion of IRA to RothIRA (full amount), was inherited.   Does anyone have a fix for this yet?

domyown21016
Returning Member

Agreed, Turbo Tax should have given provided more information. Everyone is scrambling to see if they checked Inherited IRA by accident, etc. I didn't have any inherited but did have an 8606. I'm a long time user but may look around for a new software provider next year. 

gmyeh_3670
Returning Member

I updated TT, deleted 1099-R forms and reentered 1099-R information, final review and refiled again. It was accepted by IRS.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies