turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm on F1 Student visa and I am using Glacier tax prep provided by my University. Can I file only 1099-B using TurboTax and do the rest of my forms using Glacier Tax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

I'm on F1 Student visa and I am using Glacier tax prep provided by my University. Can I file only 1099-B using TurboTax and do the rest of my forms using Glacier Tax?

As a F-visa holder, you are considered as a nonresident for five years from the first year you entered the US.  In your situation, you are a nonresident for 2015-2019.  As a nonresident, you are required to file a Form 1040-NR.  As TurboTax does not support any nonresident tax forms, you are advised to use Sprintax to file your Form 1040-NR to report your US source income including your Form 1099-B.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

When did you first enter the US?

I first entered US in Aug 2015. I am on F-1 visa since then. Currently, on F1-OPT.
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

Please see answer below.

Regarding the form 1099-B, I noticed that I could easily import my tax document (generated by Robinhood) into Turbo Tax just using my Robinhood account number. I just have to fill in the individual stock buy/sell entry in Sprint tax.

Thanks for your help.
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

As a F-visa holder, you are considered as a nonresident for five years from the first year you entered the US.  In your situation, you are a nonresident for 2015-2019.  As a nonresident, you are required to file a Form 1040-NR.  As TurboTax does not support any nonresident tax forms, you are advised to use Sprintax to file your Form 1040-NR to report your US source income including your Form 1099-B.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies