Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Miriam67Tx
Returning Member

Is FLI, which is listed on the second line of Box17, a deductible NJ Income Tax, or a secondary tax which should have been listed in Box14?

I just had the chance to try it, but after deleting my W-2 and re-entering everything from scratch with the NJ FLI in Box 14, my NJ Refund is still coming out the same --- reduced exactly by the amount of the FLI.

As I understand it, Family leave insurance is a mandatory contribution withheld from my wages by my employer, so how would that reduce my refund?

Please clarify if this is what's supposed to happen, or if this is a glitch in Turbo Tax.

Thank you!

Miriam67Tx
Returning Member

Is FLI, which is listed on the second line of Box17, a deductible NJ Income Tax, or a secondary tax which should have been listed in Box14?

UPDATE: I deleted my W-2 again, and re-imported it, and this re-calculated my NJ refund back to where it was before I moved my FLI based on the Smart Check results.

Can I simply bypass the Smart Check errors, leave the FLI in Box 15-17 and proceed to file my taxes anyway?

Please let me know, thanks.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

If you had two or more employers, you could have overpaid the maximum FLI and be due a refund of the excess. If not, the entry is not important and you can mark it as other not on the list and move on.

@Miriam67Tx

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

When you add it to box 14, it is no longer credited in NY.  Does this mean that UI/SDI and FLI taxes in NJ are not credited by NYS resident credit?  I though all taxes (that is what these are) are credited if paid in another state.  

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Not family leave taxes.  Those are a benefit to you.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
goofyrider4
Returning Member

Hi,

I think in something with taxes it self in NJ.  I had to hire an accounted.  I  tired witg ith turbo tax or h and r block.  It wouldn't work   I don't why nobody is aware of this issues.

Agreed. Use box 17. I called the state after I received corrections from the state along with penalties for filing in box 14

NJ Division of Taxation specifically says not to include the FLI tax as NJ Income Taxes (Box 17.) If you report it as Box 17 withholdings in Turbotax, this is what will happen.

https://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/notice-common.shtml

So the options are report it as Box 14 or don't report it at all. I am not sure what impact the Box 14 data has on your taxes, unless you are claiming these taxes as SALT deductions on your federal taxes. I have always inputted in as Box 14 and never had any issues.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies