turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I withdrawl funds early from my Roth IRA without fees and taxes if funding a first time home purchase? If so how much?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanO

Can I withdrawl funds early from my Roth IRA without fees and taxes if funding a first time home purchase? If so how much?

Yes, if you meet these following conditions as a first-time home buyer:

• The account has been open for five years.
  • You withdraw $10,000 or less to purchase a home.
  • The funds are used directly toward a home acquisition (down payment, closing costs, etc.)

If the above criteria are met, you can withdraw your entire account up to $10,000.  The $10,000 is a lifetime limit, and if the rules are met, the withdrawal will count as a qualified distribution and there will be no income tax owed or early withdrawal fees.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DanO

Yes, if you meet these following conditions as a first-time home buyer:

• The account has been open for five years.
  • You withdraw $10,000 or less to purchase a home.
  • The funds are used directly toward a home acquisition (down payment, closing costs, etc.)

If the above criteria are met, you can withdraw your entire account up to $10,000.  The $10,000 is a lifetime limit, and if the rules are met, the withdrawal will count as a qualified distribution and there will be no income tax owed or early withdrawal fees.

What about contributions. Can those be taken tax/fee free?
DanO

Contributions can be taken tax and penalty free, but earnings would incur tax and penalties.

Everything I found online is that this is $20,000 for couples, but that does not seem to be an option in turbo tax.

What can I do?

Only $10,000 from your IRA and $10,000 from your spouse's IRA can be used penalty free for a first time home purchase.  Not $20,000 from one IRA if you are married.

Ah - I clearly misunderstood this, thank you for clarifying and for your quick reply!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies