turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ljburdick

Why is money I pulled out of a college savings plan for my grandson to reconfigure for additional grandkids considered by Turbo as all income rather just the earnings?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MinhT1
Employee Tax Expert

Why is money I pulled out of a college savings plan for my grandson to reconfigure for additional grandkids considered by Turbo as all income rather just the earnings?

TurboTax only taxes the earnings entered in box 2 of your form 1099-Q when the distributions are not used for education.

Please revisit your entry of your form 1099-Q to make sure that earnings have been properly entered.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ljburdick

But why then does it show up, the distribution, not earnings, as income??

My distribution was 4825, earnings 675, basis 4150.  When I enter it all and go back to Wages and Income,  4825 shows up under misc income.  Maddening.

LindaB1993
Expert Alumni

It seems that the corresponding qualifying educational expenses for 2019 may not be reflected in TurboTax completely.  These should offset the distribution.  Also, the Form 1099-Q should be linked to the "student" receiving the the benefit.

The account owner (such as a parent) will receive a copy of the 1099-Q instead if the distributions from a 529 plan aren’t made directly to the beneficiary or to an educational institution for the benefit of the beneficiary. (This will eliminate this reporting requirement)

When the beneficiary enrolls in school and starts taking distributions to pay school expenses, he will begin receiving a Form 1099-Q each year. And as long as the distributions are used to pay only qualified education expenses, the beneficiary doesn’t pay income tax on the distributions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies