turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why did my refund decrease after I entered stimulus check info?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

26 Replies
JohnW152
Employee Tax Expert

When you begin entering your information into TurboTax, the program assumes that you haven't received stimulus payment, so it begins by with the assumption that you're eligible for the maximum amount, based on the initial information you've entered.

When you enter the amount of stimulus you've actually received, it adjusts your refund to account for that.

The IRS requires you to report all relevant stimulus information when you’re filing your return.

I'm using TT Deluxe 2020 from Costco (CD). Checked for all updates. TT still doesn't give me anywhere to enter the amount of stimulus I received (full amount ). It's doubly important as I live in a state w/ state income tax. Wouldn't want to short them on their slice. Also discovered a seemingly endless loop in CSA-1099-R input. I've never experienced this many flaws. ?????

JamesG1
Employee Tax Expert

TurboTax still does not give me anywhere to enter the amount of stimulus I received.

If you have not received one or both of your stimulus checks, you will receive your payment in the form of a Recovery Rebate Credit on line 30 of your 2020 Federal tax return when you file.

TurboTax will compare your one or two stimulus payment amounts to the computations within TurboTax.  The computations within TurboTax are based upon the information that you have entered into the tax software.  If you are due an additional amount, it will be issued as a Recovery Rebate Credit (RRC) on line 30 of the 2020 1040 tax return.

In TurboTax Online, you are prompted to input stimulus check 1 and stimulus check 2 information under Review down the left hand side of the screen.

You can access your stimulus check choices by following these steps: 

• Down the left side of the screen, click on Federal.
  • Across the top of the screen, click on Other Tax Situations.
  • At the screen Let’s keep going to wrap up.  Click on Let’s keep going.
  • At the screen Let’s make sure you got the right stimulus amount, click Continue.
  • At the screen Did you get a stimulus payment? you can update your stimulus check entries.

See also this TurboTax Help.

Before you enter the amount of the stimulus payments at the screen Did you get a stimulus payment?, you have been given the full Recovery Rebate Credit (the equivalent of the two stimulus payments).   This can be found on line 30 of the 2020 Federal tax return.  At this point, this is an 'incomplete' Recovery Rebate Credit.

You can see this on the screen Great news! You qualify for the stimulus credit.  The amount is displayed in the center of the page.

After you enter stimulus payment 1 and stimulus payment 2, the credit is offset by the stimulus payments and the 'incomplete' Rebate Recovery Credit is reduced or eliminated.

See this TurboTax Help.

I discovered a seemingly endless loop in CSA-1099-R input.

Recommend deleting the entry and re-entering.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This is closer to an answer. Stimulus..... I've received both. Nowhere to input that fact. Perhaps my income is to high to have received them but the system isn't designed to accommodate this.??

About CSA-1099-R....I've tried to "re-enter" it several times. Won't accept the change. Still and endless loop. The question is about the the years of service exclusions,and won't allow "none of the above" to be saved when entered.???? BTW on mother-in-laws return the same question worked properly???????

These instructions for ONLINE version don't help much on the CD version. You'd think they would be the same. (and I did check and update)

JamesG1
Employee Tax Expert

In TurboTax Online, are you able to access your stimulus payment amounts by following these steps? 

• Down the left side of the screen, click on Federal.
  • Across the top of the screen, click on Other Tax Situations.
  • Scroll to the bottom of the screen.  Click on Let’s keep going.
  • At the screen It looks like you  qualified for the stimulus, did you get any payments?, click Yes.
  • At the screen Let's double-check the amount you received you can update your stimulus check entries.

For the CSA-1099-R, at the screen Any periodic payments?, did you click Yes?

At the screen Payment Start Year, did you select Yes, I started getting payments in 2020?

At the screen Let's Figure Out How Much is Taxable, did you select I need to figure out how much of this is taxable?

Do you have the annuity information available to you?

Has the recipient reached the retirement age for the plan?

JamesG1
Employee Tax Expert

@Whizkid151

In TurboTax Desktop Home & Business, are you able to access your stimulus payment amounts by following these steps? 

• Across the top of the screen, click on Personal.
  • Across the top of the screen, click on Deductions & credits.
  • At the screen How do you want to enter your deductions and credits? click on I'll choose what I work on.
  • Under Your 2020 Deductions & Credits, scroll down to the bottom and click on Done with Deductions.
  • Click on Continue.
  • At the screen Here are your 2020 Deductions & Credits, click on Continue.
  • Click until you reach Other Tax Situations.  Scroll to the bottom and click on Done with Other.
  • At the screen It looks like you qualified for the stimulus. Click Yes.
  • At the screen Let's double-check the amount you received you can update your stimulus check entries.

You lost mine at "looks like you've qualified...........". NO option to enter any check amounts.

JamesG1
Employee Tax Expert

After you clicked Done with Other,

Did you arrive at the screen It looks like you qualified for the stimulus, did you get any payments?

If not, what does the screen say?

@Whizkid151

After "other....", I click done and it goes to "We're ready to Review your Fed........"  Have you entered all your tax forms or papers?     Yes  or No?

@JamesG1  Hadn't noticed this trick yet. Appreciate your help thus far. Still struggling. Wonder if going to beginning and removing the largest income stream would get to the stimulus tools. Get them entered then replace the missing part. Or would that just blow the whole thing up?

At the top of your tax return select Federal Review

Insert fed review pic

That will take you to this screen where it asks if you have already received your stimulus payments.  If you received the first or second payment already, then select Yes and fill in the information.  If you did not receive any payment select No.  If you received the first payment only, fill in that amount and put zero (0) for the second payment.

When the screen is correct, you refund will be adjusted for the amount of stimulus payment that will be added to your 2020 refund.

Insert Stim Pic here

In some cases, TurboTax starts with assuming you did not receive any stimulus payments and starts your refund with the full amount of both payments.  Then  when you enter payments, the amount of refund decreases or amount owed increases.  The payments are an advance on the 2020 tax return.

@Whizkid151

@MaryM428  Swing and a miss. This has recommended before. At "Fed Rev....."  It starts with Have you put in all your tax forms? No mention of stimulus.

@MaryM428  If my income disqualifies me ( I had a far better year than last year, the basis for my receiving the stimulus money ) and I have already received both stimulus deposits. I just want to input this data, as I assume it means I will have to pay it all back. BTW nothing in line 30, as some have suggested. Does anyone know how to do this????? I can only think to start a new return, fill in the checks first, then do my income. Will that freak TT out??

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies