Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

While filing Louisiana state tax, it askes me for my military retirement date, but there isn't any place to input it.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

25 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

While filing Louisiana state tax, it askes me for my military retirement date, but there isn't any place to input it.

You will enter the 1099R in the federal interview section of you return first. After this is entered, you would begin working on your state return. There is a section in your state return that will allow you to take an exclusion for military pay.

1. Go to federal>wages and income
  2. Retirement plans and Social Security>IRA,401K etc.
  3. After entering your 1099R, go the the state tax tab to begin working on your Louisiana return.
  4. You should reach a page asking you if you have any other income exclusions 
  5. Here you will select the drop down button and select Military Pay Exclusion and the amount of military pay thqt you wish to exclude. Here is what the screen looks like.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

10E is for active military pay, all my pay is retired military so I'm using 04E.  when I enter info, it initially removes my Retired pay and my Louisiana taxes owed changes to a refund.  Next, I get a message that this is a duplicate entry and will be removed.  It says it automatically removes retired pay for Louisiana based in the 04E code used in the federal tax income.  However, it has not been exempted from the state tax.

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

You are receiving an error because you are attempting to exclude the same income tax.

If you coded your pension as 04E in the federal section, do not enter anything on the Louisiana screen "Any Other Income Exclusions." Say Done.

I understand that’s how it should work, but for some reason the Louisiana tax forms aren’t recognizing the Federal 04E. It is not excluding my military retirement pay from the Louisiana state tax. Not sure how to move forward from here. 

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

When I run military retirement through TurboTax online, it works for me,. I code the 1099-R as 04E in the federal section, leave "Any Other Income Exclusions?" blank in Louisiana. On the next screen it asks for the military retirement date.

When I look at the return, military retirement is excluded.

You can contact support. They can look at your return. What is the TurboTax phone number?

When I get to the page where it asks for my retirement date, there isn’t anywhere it input it. 

9260A116-97DC-40DC-995A-2EC258D461B3.jpeg

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

I'm not able to duplicate your error. Try logging out of TurboTax and clearing you cache and cookies.

How to clear your cache

You can contact support. An Enrolled Agent can look at your return.

What is the TurboTax phone number?

I spent over 2 hours on the phone with the person trying to help me. No matter what we did. It still does not reflect the Military pay exclusion. The system says it does but when u look at the return the taxable income is not reduced! Also the correct code for Military Retirement Pay is 05E not 04E. P.S. I also tried the 04E  and it still doesn't work!

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

To try to troubleshoot your issue, I have recreated the return in my sample program and it works correctly. Your issue may reflect a variety of things. 

1.  First of all, check your 1099R to see if you are marked as the right recipient. 
  2. Next if you have the ability to see forms, check your Form 540P23 and check line 7 of that form against line 11 of your 1040.  if the two amounts are different, then your military pension has been excluded.

I spent over 2 hours on the phone with a help advisor last Thursday. She checked and tried everything and could see that it was not importing the exclusion of my military retirement pay on the louisiana return. We deleted forms, re entered,  tried manually manipulating the form. Tonight I will try deleting everything and restarting new. If that does not work I want a full refund and I will use a different tax program.

Here’s how my 2 hour phone call went. We completed all the taxes, fed and state, and my mil retirement pay was not excluded from state taxes. Then we went back into the state form and added the 04E exemption on the page that asked for other exempt income and walla, it deducted my mil pay and reduced my tax burden by $1000.00👏. Now the important part. If you click on the continue button it will remove the exemption because it believes it is a duplicate, so DON’T HIT THE CONTINUE BUTTON. Just back out using the menu on the left and then navigate to the review.   Good luck🤞

Well, after another 3 hour call and them having to give me a free upgrade so a CPA could go over everything. We finally did exactly what u did. Now I get my proper refund instead of paying $600.  TurboTax really needs to get their programmers busy and fix the problems so everyone else doesn't have to go thru all this BS!

THank you for the info..Will try. We have both state exempted retirements. Exact same situation here. Say we owe $1908 but should be 0. At a roadblock. Deleted and redid state info 3 times.

Your answer fixed the issue for my friend!  Before this it showed LA tax being paid on military retirement (which is tax exempt in Louisiana), so it went from owing $100 to being refunded $600, meaning the state would receive $700 that it doesn't deserve.  

Key to filing military retirement in Louisiana is larryhawks answer of "so DON’T HIT THE CONTINUE BUTTON. Just back out using the menu on the left and then navigate to the review."

Thanks for your help!!👍👍👍

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies