turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jadechey

Where do I get my 1099-G?

Everything I can find on Turbotax and elsewhere implies (without flat-out stating) that I should have received a 1099-G that I can use to report my unemployment income, eg: "Tell us about the unemployment reported to you on a 1099 G."

I haven't received this form, and can't find anything that says when I should get it.  Last year I used bank statements and added up the unemployment I got, but I can't access my statements right now. Should I be getting a form from the government?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

Yes, you should be getting 1099-G for unemployment. The forms are often generated in the last week of January, so you still have to receive it...

However, most state governments offer to access the form online, on the unemployment benefits website. If you are not sure exactly where, just type 1099G, then your state in google, for example - you may find an option to retrieve 1099-g online. 

View solution in original post

10 Replies
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

Yes, you should be getting 1099-G for unemployment. The forms are often generated in the last week of January, so you still have to receive it...

However, most state governments offer to access the form online, on the unemployment benefits website. If you are not sure exactly where, just type 1099G, then your state in google, for example - you may find an option to retrieve 1099-g online. 

I'm trying to file my taxes but I haven't received my1099G form.

VictoriaD75
Employee Tax Expert

You should be receiving a 1099-G from the government entity that paid you the benefit. However, they do not have to be sent to you until January 31. It is likely that it is still on the way. If you have the total of amount received, you can calculate similar to the method the original poster described from the prior tax year. Or, you can contact the appropriate agency in your state to verify that a copy was sent or if electronic receipt is available.

The IRS does not begin accepting 2019 returns until January 27, 2020. You have some time to research how you will receive the form.

Guide to Unemployment and Taxes

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Kmcc70

I've waited 5 months . I'm not tech savvy . I've asked to have it mailed. I can't do my taxes without. I've been asking for months

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Take a look at the following TurboTax article for some advice about how you may be able to proceed to file your return without your Form 1099-G:

How do I report unemployment if I didn't get a 1099-G?

@Kmcc70

CKKeller
Returning Member

I do not have that form for 2020AZ and have no unemployment income. I'm retired. 

CKKeller
Returning Member

All I get is my social security and a small amt . from a retirement fund all reported on the 1040. I'm not familiar with 1099G.  

KrisD15
Employee Tax Expert

You would get a 1099-G for several reasons. 

To report

State refund

State Unemployment

State Sick and Family Leave

State Grant

If you didn't get any of those types of payments in 2021, you won't get a 1099-G 

I never record my 1099 G form from the Ct department of employment

FangxiaL
Expert Alumni

Many states ask taxpayers to go to their website and download the 1099-G form. NYS is one of those states. 

Here is the link to download your copy.

@Sanchez2019

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies