turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TT is saying earned income is too low (ie zero) to contribute to IRA even though I have 10k of earned income from 1099-misc. How do I get it to recognize 1099 income?

Turbo tax is reporting that my earned income is zero and therefore I cannot contribute to IRA, but I had 10k of earned income which I reported via a 1099-misc as independent contractor.  How do I get past this error message where it says that I didn't have any income to contribute to my ira?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

TT is saying earned income is too low (ie zero) to contribute to IRA even though I have 10k of earned income from 1099-misc. How do I get it to recognize 1099 income?

Is there an amount on form 1040 Sch 1 line 3?

Did you enter any expenses?  Earned income from self employment is the Net Profit minus 1/2 the self employment tax.

Ok thanks.  I figured it out.  It looks like you have to create a schedule c in order for 1099 income to be recognized as earned income (even if you have no expenses to deduct).  So when you enter the 1099-misc,  TT will ask whether you have expenses to deduct.  So even if you don't have any expenses to deduct, answer YES.    TT will then create a schedule C for you which you'll have to fill out in a later section (I think under business income).   Just enter zero for expenses if you have no expenses.  

If you answer NO when asked, then TT won't create a schedule c and won't recognize the 1099 as earned income. 

(I'm using tt premium, so maybe the interface for tt business is different)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies