Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The total withdrawal amount of $16,100 from my wife and my own Roth IRAs, Turbotax still takes $10,100 out of it as taxable. I thought all should be taken as no tax.

All 16100 are used to pay my daugher's college tuition in 2020.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

The total withdrawal amount of $16,100 from my wife and my own Roth IRAs, Turbotax still takes $10,100 out of it as taxable. I thought all should be taken as no tax.

Was it less than 5 years old?

The taxable amount of the distribution as reported on Form 1099-R in box 2a is entered on a tax return as ordinary income and taxed at your current tax rate.

The distribution

• Not in excess of your qualified higher education expenses

from an IRA removes the 10% early withdrawal penalty, not the taxability of the distribution.

IRS Tax Topic - https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc557

No. That's not what I want answer.  my 1099R 2a is blank. I know the amount in 2a is for taxable income. But I do not have 2a amount. That's what I got confused.

No, more than 5 years.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies