turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

marthacarter
Returning Member

The new tax bill eliminated the RMD I owed for 2020 filing. What happens to the federal tax that was withheld by the custodian when the RMD was issued to me?

My taxes were rejected.

marthacarter
Returning Member

The new tax bill eliminated the RMD I owed for 2020 filing. What happens to the federal tax that was withheld by the custodian when the RMD was issued to me?

I paid you to file my taxes and you told me that I had to contact you to give you my gross number, and I paid $30 for you to do them. Here is my order[Removed] and my case # is [phone number removed].

marthacarter
Returning Member

What do you mean Edmonton?

marthacarter
Returning Member

I don’t owe you or irs anything.

marthacarter
Returning Member

Explain to me what end means. What does it stand for?

marthacarter
Returning Member

Can you put me in my 2020 account?

marthacarter
Returning Member

Can you put me in my 2020 taxes?

@marthacarter wrote:

Explain to me what end means. What does it stand for?

I have no clue what you are asking.  This thread is about federal tax withholding in 2020 on a RMD and has been answered in prior posts in this thread.

If you have a new question then ask a new question and provide the details.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Do you need your 2020 AGI to file?

You need your 2020 AGI to efile 2021. The AGI is on 2020 1040 line 11. If you filed a Joint return you use the same AGI for each spouse.

How to find the AGI.
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/agi/help/how-do-i-find-last-year-s-agi/01/25947

If you didn't file 2020 or filed it later in the year or mailed it, then try entering 0 for the AGI. If that doesn't work you will have to print and mail your return.

Or request a transcript from the IRS
https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

RChisholm
Returning Member

But when I returned the amount to my retirement account, I returned the full amount to include the federal tax withheld.   So........I paid the original fed tax which was withheld, with which I have no control over, and then I RETURNED the SAME fed tax amount with the original RMD distribution back to my account.

Right it won't be taxed.  It should say ROLLOVER by line 4b or 5b.  But you still get credit for the withholding on 1040 line 25b.    But you can't return the RMD.  You have to take it.  Or is this for a 2020 return?  

If you are looking at a summary screen or review screen those show the full amount as income and lump a lot of stuff together. You need to check the actual 1040 form and make sure it's right. Before filing you can preview the 1040 or print the whole return
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/accessing/help/how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-f...

OK so you still have the total and tax amount in your IRA.  Then you got the withholding back on your tax return line 25b.  

RChisholm
Returning Member

2020 return.   I reported all the distribution and federal tax withheld, but put back the entire amount as a rollover.  The entire amount INCLUDED the federal tax withheld.  So, I paid the tax, PLUS returned the tax via other funds back into the IRA, in 2020.

@RChisholm wrote:

2020 return.   I reported all the distribution and federal tax withheld, but put back the entire amount as a rollover.  The entire amount INCLUDED the federal tax withheld.  So, I paid the tax, PLUS returned the tax via other funds back into the IRA, in 2020.

The tax withheld should have been in box 4 on the 1099-R.   That would add that amount to "Taxes paid" that would offset your 2020 tax liability or add to your refund.    You do not loose the money.    Look at your 2020 1040 form line 25b to see it.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

You didn't "pay" the tax.  You taxes withheld.  Did you enter the 1099R into your return?  Is line 4b 0 and say ROLLOVER by it?  Then look at line 25b.  Is the withholding there?  You got it back on line 25b.  It reduced your total tax or added to your refund.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies