turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

donnaq327

I received money from U.S Victims of State Sponsored Terrorism Fund. 25% went to attorney fees and I received the balance. Is this money taxable?

I received an award from US Victims of State Sponsored Terrorism Fund. My attorney received his 25% and I received my award. Is this money taxable?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT
Expert Alumni

I received money from U.S Victims of State Sponsored Terrorism Fund. 25% went to attorney fees and I received the balance. Is this money taxable?

Awards from this fund are for personal injury and are not taxable.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

12 Replies
donnaq327

The money came from a lawsuit, because my brother was killed on 9/11.  Is this money still tax-free?
robinjenn

has this been impacted by the Trump tax law?
MinhT
Expert Alumni

This has not been changed by the new tax law.
robinjenn

Is there a ruling from the IRS on this, or something else in writing that we can rely upon?
MinhT
Expert Alumni

Awards from this fund are for personal injury and are not taxable.

I am curious to know if you were part of just round 2 of the distribution, and if you in fact received 5% of the 8.5 million judgement? Did you receive this payout right at the beginning of January? When were you notified what amount you were going to receive? Did the money go through an account set up by your attorney? 

Hi , I am the daughter of a 9/11 victim . I am wondering if you ever received an answer to you question as I have the same tax question and no one seems to know the answer 

Hi, did you ever get a response on this. I am wondering the same.

IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

According to the United States Victims of State Sponsored Terrorism Fund, this money is paid out as compensatory damages for victims of terrorism. In a wrongful death case, the damages are caused by personal physical injuries, which the IRS does not tax. As MinhT responded above, this money isn't taxable. I'm sorry for your loss. 

Thk u.... i wonder if the same hold true in a state level ??? New york? Thank you for your condolences.❤

IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

You're welcome. Yes, NY has the same rules relating to personal injury settlements

Donovan-
Returning Member

In response to your posting be advised of the following: My late parents were residents of New Jersey. Their Estates received payouts from the US Victim's of State Sponsored Terrorism Fund due to the loss of a family member on 9/11. The New Jersey Division of Taxation taxed the funds received (Estate Tax) because they claimed there was nothing specifically mentioned about this fund in IRS Publication 3920. So be advised that payouts from this fund may be taxable in certain situations.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies