turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kokoknit

Social security

How do we report my husband's two separate SSA 1099 forms? There is only one box  in which to report this. Do we add the two totals together?  Both of the forms has his SS number on it but of the forms has a claim number that is my SS number followed by B1; the other form has his SS number followed by the letter A.       

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Social security

Add the amounts on the two SSA-1099 forms together and enter the total in TurboTax.

Social security

Do i claim my x husband's social security 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Social security

If you are filing MFJ, then you would add his social security.

@leisy28

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Social security

I tried but there was no where to put it i guess ill wait and see what Michigan tax says

Social security

What is MFJ

Social security

@leisy28 wrote:

What is MFJ

Married Filing Jointly

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Social security

@leisy28 wrote:

Do i claim my x husband's social security 

If he is your EX-husband because you were already divorced before the end of 2019, then you cannot file as married filing jointly, nor as married filing separately, because at the end of 2019 you were no longer married. You have to file as single, or as head of household if you meet the requirements for that.

It's not clear why you would report your EX-husband's Social Security benefits on your tax return, unless you received Social Security benefits on his account. Did you receive a Form SSA-1099 for the Social Security payments? Whose name and Social Security number are in boxes 1 and 2 at the top of the SSA-1099? If it's your name and Social Security number, then it's your Social Security income, not your ex-husband's, and you do have to report it on your tax return. It doesn't matter whose Social Security number is in box 8 at the bottom of the SSA-1099.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies