Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should the amount enter in TurboTax for SSA income include the amount withheld for Medicare or is it just the net amount I received?

I'm trying to estimate and don't have a real 1099 to look at yet
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Should the amount enter in TurboTax for SSA income include the amount withheld for Medicare or is it just the net amount I received?

The total Social Security benefits you receive before any deduction for Medicare premiums paid.

The amount to enter is from box 5 of the SSA-1099 which you will receive in January 2021 for the 2020 benefits paid.

Is this your first year?  Do you have a copy of last year's?  Here a blank one to see.  You enter the amount in box 5 which is before deductions. Medicare deductions will be listed in the big box on the left side.

SSA 1099.png

add the cash you received PLUS what was withheld for Medicare PLUS any voluntary tax withholding. THAT is your SSA income.

Thanks

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies